The truth about a classic egg salad sandwich
Shockingly, a classic egg salad sandwich from delis and restaurants can contain up to 400 to 700 cal per serving. Also its cholesterol can reach well over 400 mg (over 150% of daily allowance on a 2000 cal diet). Its total fat – up to 19 to 49 g (29 to 75% of daily allowance). Eating this stuff even on a weekly basis can put your cardiologist on alert.
Time I made a healthier version
Evidently, if I want to continue having egg salad sandwiches, I needed to reinvent the recipe and turn it into a healthy egg salad sandwich.
So, I asked myself, “Is it the flavor and texture, or the eggs and mayonnaise that I am craving?” My answer was that it’s a little bit of everything. After tinkering with the recipe a few times. I am very pleased with this healthier version.
- 8 eggs
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 garlic
- ⅔ cup light mayonnaise
- 8 oz semi firm tofu, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp pickle juice
- Dash of black pepper
- 16 whole grain crispbreads, see detail
- 4 oz English cucumber, cut into 16 thin slices
- 8 oz baby spinach
- Place eggs in a pot.
- Cover eggs with water up to about ½ inch above the eggs.
- Add vinegar to egg.
- Bring water to a boil, then shut off heat and let eggs steep for 14 minutes.
- While the eggs are being cooked, pound together thyme and garlic in a mortar to form a rough paste.
- In a large bowl, mix together light mayonnaise, tofu, mustard, lemon juice, pickle juice, thyme-garlic paste, and a dash of black pepper.
- Rinse eggs in cold water.
- Peel eggs and remove yolk.
- Roughly chop egg white and combine it with the salad mix.
- Place 2 to 3 slices of English cucumber onto each crispbread.
- Scoop about 2 tbsp of egg salad on top of the cucumber for each crispbread.
- For each serving, rest 2 crispbreads next to or on top of 1 oz of baby spinach.
Things you may want to know about this recipe
- After making the salad, chill it in the refrigerator for at least 30 min to 1 hour before using. Doing so allows the flavors to blend.
- You can also chop up the cucumber and mix it into the salad. That will make assembling the crispbreads even simpler.
- These egg salad crispbreads can be paired with a soup such as my Hurry Curry Carrot Soup.
- This recipe is perfect to be taken as lunch. To do so, simply keep the the egg salad, cucumber, baby spinach and crispbreads separate. Combine them when you are ready to eat.