Forget white rice – eat yellow rice! Rice cooking has been evolving. Growing up, I was given pure white rice. Nowadays, people say mixed-grains are healthier. But secretly, I badly want a breakthrough in my rice.
This rice is easy to make and the taste is phenomenal
For inspiration, I picked up this book – Classic Asian Rice by Lee Geok Boi. It is dedicated entirely to cooking rice. Among her recipes, this Southeast Asian celebratory rice caught my attention. It looks complicated, but actually it is extremely easy to make. Just put everything in a rice cooker.
Experience this! As the rice is being cooked, the aroma from the cooker begins to heighten your hunger. When you open the rice cooker, the vibrant yellow color is cheering and bright. Take one bite – let your taste buds be enticed by the richness and sweetness of the coconut. As your senses reach a crescendo , suddenly you realize that it is not your everyday rice! It’s celebratory rice.
Pair it with something from my other recipes
To top it all off, pair it up with my other recipes such as Pepper, Sausage and Rice. The result – a flavor-packed rice lunch.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup white jasmine rice
- 1 cup brown jasmine rice
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup coconut water, more may be needed depending on your rice cooker
- 2 tablespoon chopped green onion
- Wash rice, then place it in a rice cooker.
- Peel garlic, add salt, then crush it by pounding it in a mortar.
- Transfer garlic into rice.
- Add turmeric, then coconut water up to the 2-cup mark in the rice cooker.
- Gently stir together all ingredients until a uniform yellow mixture is formed.
- Turn on the rice cooker and let it do its job.
- While the rice cooker is cooking your rice, make Pepper and Sausage recipe.
- To serve, combine Turmeric Yellow Rice and Pepper and Sausage, then sprinkle chopped green onion on top.
Nutrition facts listed are for rice only.
Cook time may vary depending your rice cooker.
I deviated from the classic recipe by replacing the coconut cream with coconut water.
Shopping CornerBefore I discovered Classic Asian Rice, I had no idea that there were so many ways to cook rice. If like me, you are bored with your everyday rice, let Classic Asian Rice reframe your mind! After reading this cookbook, I am sure you will enjoy learning all the creative dishes from this book. It’s an eye-opening experience.
Subscribe, subscribe, subscribe!
Follow my blog via RSS is easy. Simply click here. If you prefer to get an email update on my blog, just enter your email address to the right and click the subscribe button. Also, follow me on Facebook/LunchSmart.Pin It